So you want to connect a chiller to a condenser to cool with water or water-glycol.

You don’t need the insulated hoses used when circulating oil through a vessel’s jacket.

Instead, you have a choice of tubing options. But which is the right one for you?

Let’s look at a few examples of how to find the perfect tubing for your requirements.

Choosing the Right Tubing for Your Apparatus

For the StarFish Work Station, for example, we recommend two different sizes of Tygon tubing – one (part number RR95535 – 6.4 mm diameter) for connecting the condensers to the StarFish water manifolds, and one (part number RR95540 – 8 mm diameter) for connecting the StarFish water manifolds to the chiller.

What about Connecting a Chiller Directly to a Glass Condenser?

If you’re using a condenser such as RR139009 on top of your Reactor-Ready jacketed reactor, or any other condenser with GL14 fittings, you could use the 8 mm tubing above (RR95540). Connect it to the 8 mm diameter (NW 8) hose barbs that come with your Huber Minichiller.

The Heidolph tube set part number 591-35000-00 contains water tubing that is designed for use with Heidolph Hei-VAP rotary evaporators, but it is also appropriate for other applications – it too is compatible with NW 8 hose barbs and GL14 fittings.

Anything Else I Should Know?

If you are running a condenser at low temperatures, it’s a good idea to insulate your tubing to help reduce condensation. We suggest:

  • HB6083: Tubing Insulation 13 mm ID x 7 mm Thick NW 8
  • HB6082: Tubing Insulation 17 mm ID x 7 mm Thick NW 12

Regardless of your set-up, it’s recommended to secure your tubing at both ends using suitable hose clips.

If you’re still unsure which tubing to use for your apparatus or application, why not give us a call? Our technical specialists will be happy to listen to your requirements before recommending a solution that’s right for you.

You can get in touch with our technical sales specialists and technical support team by calling +44 1799 513 320, emailing [email protected] or connecting to our live chat online.

Alternatively, you can fill in this online enquiry form.